Friday, April 4, 2014

Now I Don't Know My ABC's



One month into our time here in Ethiopia we definitely understand how language can be a huge barrier.  Unfortunately it took three weeks before we were able to start any formal language training.  Initially it was frustrating, but in hindsight perhaps God wanted us to get a good taste of isolation, so we would more fully appreciate the language and culture.

This barrier that we faced also gave us the opportunity to build a bridge.  When we are intentional in trying to use the Amharic we have learned people always recognize and appreciate our efforts.  Simply saying good morning or good afternoon has opened doors and broken down barriers as we interact with people in our neighborhood. 

Each time I encounter people that are fluent in both English and Amharic I am beginning to understand the mental discipline and intelligence that is required to not only speak both, but also to be able to think in both.  It is one thing to piece to together a sentence by breaking it in to words, but to actually think and process in two languages is quite a feat.  Perhaps by God’s grace we will be able to gain a handle of the language and a much deeper appreciation for the diversity of languages around the globe.  At the very least we will be able to provide an ample amount of humor for our friends and neighbors as we continue to stumble our way through the language and culture.  Undoubtedly we will be ignorantly causing some awkward situations, but as long as we are able to laugh at ourselves, and not take things too personally we should be fine.

For the most part we can’t understand a word while at church, unless we have someone kind enough to be passing us notes.  As I sat at church this past Sunday I was reminded of a passage of scripture that I read earlier in the week.  It all of a sudden hit me, how crazy it would be if, as I was watching everyone around me praising God so passionately I could all of a sudden hear it in my own language or understand the words of the song or preaching completely.   In Acts two  we read about when the Holy Spirit first came upon the believers and they began to speak in all different languages, and how the people that were visiting from around the known world were bewildered to hear these common people speaking in the their mother tongue.  Now I can understand how that must have blown their minds to see the Spirit at work in such a powerful way.

Thanks be to God for diversity in culture and language, pray that we might see these as a bridge rather than a barrier.
 
By Brad

 

1 comment: