Thursday, March 13, 2014

Transportation by Tenesae

There are lots of big trucks and taxi’s here that drive very fast.
One of the things that we use to get around here are called a Bajaj, it is a very small vehicle, almost like a motor bike with a bus seat behind the driver. It was a very scary ride for me, I thought that the door was going to fall off, but Zariah and Kai thought the ride was so much fun, they started giggling away, mostly Zariah. Micah likes to call them “bob-crashes”. Kai did hit his head a couple times going over bumps in the road. The bajaj’s zip this way and that way.
The gari is a horse buggy, some people hitch rides with men who own the Gari. Sometimes the gari is used to carry loads of stone, brick, leaves, or wood. The thing I don’t like about the gari is how they whip the poor horses with leather and sticks. Sometimes they bleed or once we saw a horse on the side of the road dead.
Most of the time people just walk around. When we went for a walk dad said that we were just going to walk to this pink building, but we ended up walking to a different place a lot farther. The babies here are lucky because they get carried on the older sister’s or mom’s back.

Some people have donkey’s to carry their jugs of water, but we saw lots of girls carrying water too. I love learning something new everyday we take a walk.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tenesae, I just read your letter right now. When I was in Ethiopia, I also rode in a bajaj. At first I didn't know what you were talking about, but when I read your description I knew what you meant. I am sorry about the horses. I wouldn't want to see a dead horse or see a bunch of horses get whipped. I miss you guys and say hi to your family for me.
    From
    Mekfira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tenesae, I read your letter and it sounds like you guys are having an exciting adventure. Do the horses there look the same as the horses in Canada? The bajaj sounds fun and a little scary. I miss you guys, and can't wait to see you guys in October. By for now.

    From Kalkidan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tenesae! I read your post and you write really detailed stories. I can just imagine what it would be like to ride in a bajaj.
    I miss you and your family. Have a great time! I look forward to reading more about you and your family's adventures.
    Love, Yelissa :)

    ReplyDelete