Monday, May 5, 2014

Mr. Mom by Brad


Breakfast, snack, cloth diapers, home school and chaos control is my morning routine.  I am certainly getting a good taste of what it means to be MR. Mom.  Considering we are working primarily with widows and children it makes sense that Christy take on most of the hands on contact while I work behind the scenes.  For those of you who know my tendency to be a bit of a workaholic, I am sure you can sympathise with this change of routine.  For the most part back home my days would be filled with hard physical labour, trying to max out every moment to be as productive as possible.

I am strongly considering, committing a week to potty training, cause I want to be done with the cloth diapers and the disposable are crazy expensive.  It is definitely a good experience for me to gain a perspective of what Christy usually endures.  As I prepare snack, sit and play games, and constantly prod the kids to stay on task with their studies, I feel my manly muscle fading away, so I have tried to implement a bit of a workout routine.  Micah counts by ten’s and five’s while I do push ups and sit ups, Kia counts to ten while he is slung over my shoulders for squats, and Zariah and I play I spy in Amharic while I master my lunges. 

I make it out to sound so bad, but it has been awesome to track daily with Micah as he learns to read and even see Kia give me 10 minutes of concentrated speech and reading work while he waits for his snack.  My daily pool party with my little Z-bomb (Zariah) while I wash the diapers is a highlight of my day; I might have to find some other water activity to do with her if the potty training turns out to be successful.  The older girls might not appreciate all the extra daddy time, as I am a bit of a drill sergeant when it comes to homeschool, but I hope to develop some to way to capitalize on this precious time spent with my two Konjo (beautiful) girls.

Even though some days are hard, I am learning to appreciate the time I have to invest in my kids and I will certainly be eager to put in some long days of hard work when the opportunity arrives.  In the mean time I will continue to recite the months of the year and days of the week while Micah is perched on my shoulders for strength training, try keep up with Z-bomb’s constant demand for muze (bananas), attempt to contain Kai’s forts to one room and continue keep a tight dish washing schedule with the girls.

Have I mentioned my wife is amazing???!!!

Thanks be to God for perspective!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment