Thursday, November 28, 2013

Are we CRAZY?

Crazy! Yes that is us, it doesn't seem that we are destined to do anything the average or mainstream way. Right from the moment Brad and I met, God had a plan, and a wild one beyond our imagination at that, we dated 3 month before we planned to get married, we started the adoption process a year after being married, we own water buffalo, homeschool and have 5 kids, and now we are planning on packing up and moving our little family to the other side of the world....I know CRAZY!
To be totally honest the moment going to Ethiopia became a reality I danced around with excitement then quickly sat down and thought 'oh crap' this is scary. But we know this is where are family is called to be, this is a journey that started years ago.  I can't believe it is actually happening, but we are leaving for Ethiopia in 3 months. It does seem crazy that we are packing up, leaving our home, job, family and friends and taking our 5 kids and moving to Ethiopia, but this is something that was planned long ago and has been on our hearts for years. When Brad and I got married a verse that we chose that was significant to us was Psalms 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I believe it is the desires of our Great God that led us to adopt from Ethiopia and now it is our same God that is calling us back there. We have longed to serve in Ethiopia, among these beautiful people, and now the door is open and we have an amazing opportunity to serve with Blessing The Children for a year.
Recently I had the opportunity to share at my Church's woman's group, and while preparing I had time to think back over my life and the amazing blessings that I have been given. I have been given so much, even through the tough times, and I desire to give what I can and offer hope and love to those who need it. Our family motto has always been "Life is an Adventure" and following God no matter where He leads is going to be the greatest adventure.  James 1:27 says "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in Africa, and there is a huge number of widows and orphans due to the hardships of life. Our family has been personally touched by this and it is our desire to go, serve, and be used to hopefully bring hope and help stop the poverty cycle. I dream of changing the world, and it may not seem like I can, but I believe you can if you start with one life. We never know what may come our way in life, there will always be challenges, but we believe that God created us for a purpose and that He has a plan for our lives and He will lead and guide us. This same God who watches over us here in Canada, will be with us in Ethiopia. It is by His great love and grace for us that we are compelled to go and love others. We don't want to get hung up on living this life all for ourselves. Am I nervous? Yes! But I know that the adventure of following God is always well worth it, the challenges develop our character. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  I don't want to run the race of life with regrets. Carpe Diem means 'seize the day' and that is our desire, for all the moments that we have been given. As God unfolds the next chapter of our story, we look forward to the great adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment